Fresh Kauai shrimp & Big island goat cheese grits
Fresh Kauai shrimp & Big island goat cheese grits.
Yield: 4 servings
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
|2 lbs||fresh kauai shrimp|
|3 lbs||unsalted butter|
|1/4 c||olive oil|
|3||red bell pepper|
|4 c||fresh tomatoes|
|3 t||unsalted butter|
|1/4 c||heavy cream|
|1/2 c||big island goat cheese|
Butter Poached Shrimp
- 2 lbs fresh Kauai Shrimp, head-on, peeled & deveined
- 3 lbs unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 quarts Water
- 2 stems fresh tarragon
- In a large saucepot, heat water just until simmering. Turn heat to medium low. Slowly add butter into the water using a whip. The butter will emulsify. Hold temperature at 180 degrees and poach shrimp in it for approximately 5 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked through (depending on size of shrimp).
- ¼ cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & mashed
- 3 each Red bell pepper, large, seeded & diced
- 2 each Anaheim chili, roasted, peeled, seeded & diced
- 4 cups freshh tomatoes, blanched peeled & diced
- 2 each lemons, zest and juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pot. Add onion & garlic and sauté until onions are caramelized. Add bell pepper, Anaheim chili and tomatoes. Allow the sauce to reduce until thick over medium heat. Remove from heat and add lemon juice & zest. Season with Tabasco and salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 pkg grits
- 3 tbs unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Big Island goat cheese
- Follow package directions to prepare 4 servings of grits. Add butter, heavy cream and goat cheese to prepared grits, and stir until incorporated.
- To serve, place hot grits in a bowl. Top with the sofrito and shrimp. Drizzle with a little poaching liquid, if desired. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and chopped chives.